Are you a business interested in giving students an opportunity to put their studies to use in real life? A new collaborative between the Chamber, United Way and the Owatonna Schools are placing seniors in apprenticeships, internships and job shadowing experiences. The Career & Workforce counselor at the high school is coordinating efforts to match kids with career opportunities. Interested in participating? Get Involved!
SteeleCo.Works-Hot Jobs, Cool Companies Magazine is a publication designed to feature local job opportunities, education requirements and approximate wages associated with careers. SteeleCo.Works magazine partners include United Way of Steele County, Junior Achievement of the Upper Midwest,Inc., Workforce Development, Inc. and Owatonna Area Chamber of Commerce and Tourism.
Looking for opportunities for our youth? Here are 4 categories you can offer to engage our youth within your business at a level that you are comfortable with and able to provide. You may choose to offer all or some of them.
Simply complete the fillable sign-up form with as many specifics as you are able.
- If you are willing to offer a tour, please email the months, day of the week, and time of the day you would be willing to host some or many students at your company. There could be months where no students sign up, but at least there’s an option for them.
- If you are willing to offer a job shadow, please email me the specific job titles and job description you will allow a student to shadow one of your current employees, the number of shadows you will offer and the specific months you will offer them.
- For instance- I work for Viracon, I will offer one shadow each in glass fabricating, drafting and purchasing in the months of November, January, March and May from 4:00-5:00 p.m. on a Tuesday and Thursday.
- If you are willing to offer an internship, please email me the specific job titles and job description you will allow a student to intern in, the number of interns you’re willing to host, and which session(s) (see attached internship page) you prefer.
- If you are willing to offer a work experience, these will vary based on students meeting the specific criteria required.
- If you know that you have specific hiring needs during a certain time/month of the year, that is also something that can be sent to me in advance to share with the students and added to the calendar.
All of these opportunities will be kept on a yearly calendar that will be shared with our 4 county high schools, teachers, students and parents, alumni and out of school youth. They will be shared within classrooms and promoted by school counselors as well.
If you have questions, contact Megan Horton, Workforce Coordinator for SteeleCo Works at firstname.lastname@example.org